Melbourne Garage Doors
How to Replace or Revamp Your Garage Doors
Garage doors are usually designed to last many years before they reach a state where they need to be replaced or refurbished. Besides aging, another common reason for replacing or redesigning a garage door is to improve the look of your house more so if the garage door was not well crafted to blend well with the house design.
Whatever the reason you have for replacing or revamping your garage door, this article is for you. We have compiled all the necessary information you need to know before you go ahead to replace or refurbish your garage door. Just ensure you read till the end.
Why replace/revamp your garage door?
If you are still not sure whether you need to replace your garage door or not, here are some of the reasons you should consider:
To automate your garage door.
The level of automation that was available in Australia 20 years ago is not the same as it is today. Chances are if you installed your garage door two decades back, it is most likely a manual one. For better security and convenience, you may want to have your garage door automated. This process may require completely redesigning your garage door or even replacing it with one that already has automation capabilities. The other reason could be that it is an older style manual lift garage door – you have to get out of your car, to manually lift it up, in that instance, an automatic garage door may open as you approach, saving you time getting out of the car and back in, added security, save you some muscle work or back aches (if you’re like some of our customers).
The garage door is old.
If you have lived in a house for years or if you have just bought one that has an extremely old garage door, you should consider replacing it. Remember, your garage door is also necessary for your safety, and if it is very old, it could create some security vulnerabilities for your house, but more importantly – what is in it – as well, you, your family, your possessions.
Improve the design to match your needs
A garage door installed many years back may not meet the needs of today. For instance, if the security threats in your community have increased, you may need a much stronger garage door than you already have at the moment that has a lock feature or otherwise. The solution in such a situation is replacing the garage door with one that meets your security needs.
Increase the value of your home
If you are intending to sell your home very soon, one thing you need to know is that the way your garage door looks plays a role in its valuation on the market. So, revamping or replacing your garage door will make a difference as far as the price you may sell your house for. The garage door may also affect the value of your house if it faces the streets more so if its wide. Garage Doors take up a massive amount of your frontage! This is a simple way to add some cool kerbside appeal that increases the value of your home easily.
For better insulation
As your garage door ages, its insulation capacity keeps reducing, and you may start feeling the significance after a couple of years. If this is your case, you will likely have to replace your garage door with one that has better insulation properties or replace certain elements of it that will reduce the rate of heat exchange between the inside and outside of your house. The aspect of insulations plays a very vital role in extremely hot and extremely cold weather conditions.
The best time to replace/revamp your garage door
The best time I would recommend is during Spring and Summer to avoid being interrupted by rain or extreme cold.
Who should you hire?
Who you trust to do this work will greatly affect how well the work is done and the ability of the garage door itself to meet the needs of the home-owner. That’s why you need to look for a company or someone with enough experience in garage door works to avoid disappointments. One of the most trusted professionals in Australia when it comes to garage door works is Melbourne Garage Doors. Try us out if you want to get value for your money but also the quality installation you need, that includes a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty.
What materials to choose
One of the key decisions you will have to make more so if you have to replace your garage door is the type of material to use. Before choosing the material, you need to assess priorities to determine what matters most to you. This will make it easy for you to choose a material that meets your needs. You may even discuss with the professionals for guidance on this matter.
Some of the common materials used for garage doors in Australia include the following:
- Steel: It is the strongest and most common material used in making garage doors in Australia. If your reason for replacing your garage door is bumping up the security of your home, then steel is the ideal choice for you. Steel is also a cheaper material compared to other metals like Aluminum. The main downside of steel is rusting. So, it should be avoided if your door will likely get exposed to water much of the time.
- Wood: This an easier material to customize because it is very soft. So, if your main reason for replacing the garage door is to install one that has a cool design, then a wooden garage door should be your choice. However, wooden garage doors will not give the kind of security you will get from steel. They also get easily damaged when they are exposed to water most of the time.
- Aluminum: It is a light and strong material that also doesn’t rust. This makes it ideal for people whose garage doors are likely going to be exposed to water much more often. The only downside of aluminum is the price. It is a bit more expensive than steel so you should be ready to pay more if you want to enjoy its benefits.
- Tempered glass: This is normally used along with other materials like steel, wood, or aluminum acting as the frames. Having glass in your garage door will make it look more appealing but at the expense of security. So, if security is one of the major reasons for replacing the garage door, then tempered glass shouldn’t be your choice because it is easy to break.
What type of garage door should you choose?
Another important question while replacing or redesigning your garage door is choosing the type you need. Before you chose one, you will need to have your priorities at the back of your mind. Here are some of the types you will have to choose from.
- Roller garage doors: These are the kinds of garage doors that roll over into a rack while the door is being opened and have to be rolled out while closing the door. Roller garage doors are much easier to automate than swing-out one, but they are a bit pricier than the swing out garage doors.
- Sectional garage doors: These garage doors open by sliding towards the top of the ceiling instead of rolling into a rank. This arrangement means you need to have enough space at the ceiling of your garage doors for these doors to function properly.
- Sliding garage doors: The sliding garage doors are the type that has to slide towards the sides while being opened or closed. These also require your house to be having enough wall space that will accommodate the whole garage door when it is being opened.
- Custom garage doors: If you have your garage door design in mind, professionals like Melbourne Garage Doors can help you make it a reality. Custom-designed doors will often cost much more than already existing designs. However, the cost is worth it especially if you can imagine a design that blends well with your house.
How long do they last?
If you just want to revamp your garage door, the work can take a day or two based on its condition and how much work has to be done. Replacement typically depends on the door you choose. For the most familiar designs that are already in stock, the whole process can take about 2 to 7 days. However, if you need a custom design, you should be ready to wait for at least one month to have all the prep work and order creation perfectly done.
How much does it cost?
Repairing your garage door will typically cost you less than replacing it. The price for such a service will mainly depend on the condition of the door itself. If you intend to replace your door, the price will depend on the type, size, and material of the garage door you choose. Here are rough estimates that you can use for planning purposes but pricing does change often so it is always best to have your garage measured and quoted onsite! Take advantage of our FREE service to do just that.
- Single roller garage door: From $700 to $1550
- Double roller garage door: From $1450 to $2200
- Single sectional garage door: From $900 to $2500
- Double sectional garage door: From $1450 to $4800
- Custom garage door: Custom $
Note: To get an accurate price, measurements of your garage door have to be taken, the type you need, the material that will be used and if any additional support mechanisms are needed to support the new garage door. So, contact us at Melbourne Garage Doors to get a more accurate price of the garage door based on what you need. Remember we have a Free Measure and Quote service, with no obligation to proceed.
- The durability depends on handling: No matter the type of garage door you install, if you do not take good care of it, it will likely start wearing out or failing sooner than it should. Always make sure you clean and carry out planned maintenance as recommended by your service provider.
- Give your service provider as much information as you can: While placing your order, you may have to first consult your service provider to recommend the best possible alternatives based on your needs and price. This will help you to get the best possible garage door within your budget.
- Consider the future as well: While choosing which garage door to install, make sure you look ahead and make sure the garage door will meet your future needs as well. This will reduce the likelihood of having to replace the garage door a few years after installation.
- Get recommendations from family and friends: You should also not hesitate to ask your friends and family about the best doors they would recommend for you especially if they live within the same conditions as you do.
Before revamping or replacing your garage door, you need to be critical of the choices you make to avoid being disappointed a couple of days after the works are done. Like we have shared with you above, seeking technical guidance is one of the first things you should do. You also need to make sure you use a reliable service provider who has the experience and a good reputation in this field.
Contact us today for a FREE Measure and Quote
Thanks for reading our blog – we hope it was informative and helped you on your journey.
From your friendly, local, Melbourne Garage Doors team.